Saturday 17 May 2014

Mango Fudge


I made "Mango Fudge" as birthday sweets for my loved ones, but only after it got over. My husband just before my birthday asked me if I would bake a birthday cake for myself. With anger in my eyes, I bluntly said “No”. He was wise enough to sense other unsaid words behind my “no” and did everything to make my birthday memorable. So the day to celebrate the ageing process was well spent, with me no cooking and no baking (But yes I did help by chopping vegetables for him as he dedicatedly prepared lunch for me). So the very next morning, I was straight up to kitchen to create a sweet dish for my sweet husband who had showered all the sweetness to make my birthday very sweet and special.

I had came across “Mango fudge” recipe by Sonal Gupta which was posted in a FB forum called “Home Chefs Guild”. I loved the way the mango fudge looked and as I read through the recipe, I got confident that it’s going to taste just amazing. So I doubled the quantity and tweaked the recipe as per my preference. Mango fudge came out to be yummy and melt in mouth sweet. I took it to my workplace, send to family friends and they all loved it. One of them actually noted that it tasted like a very famous sweet of Mumbai called “aam pak” and that my version was much tastier. So here is the "Mango Fudge" recipe, a must try if you have a sweet tooth and mango happens to be your favourite. 

Mango Fudge

Recipe Source: simplyvegetarian777.wordpress.com

Serves: 12- 15 persons




Ingredients:

Mango Pulp : 4 cups (I used fresh Bainganpalli mangoes, you can even use even the canned ones )
Paneer (finely grated) : 2 cups
Milk Powder: 2 cups
Sugar: 2 ½  cups or to taste
Saffron: 1 tsp soaked I warm milk
Cardamom powder: 2 tsp + a fat pinch for garnish
Almonds: 4 tbsp roughly chopped + 4 tsp for garnish
Pistachios: 2 tbsp roughly chopped + 2 tsp for garnish
Yellow liquid food colour- 1tsp

Procedure: Take a thick bottom pan. Add mango pulp and sugar to the pan. Cook these together on low flame for about 10-12 minutes till the water content in the mango pulp is reduced and a thicker consistency obtained. Do not cook on a high flame; let it take its own time. After the mango and sugar mixture has reduced add grated paneer, milk powder,nuts, cardamom powder, soaked saffron and yellow liquid colour to the pan. Mix everything well and cook on a low flame for good 20-25 minutes, till everything is blended well. 
Meanwhile grease the pans with ghee or unflavoured oil. I had taken one aluminium 6’’ inch square tin and another rectangular glass dish with 9’’ inch length and 5’’ inch breadth. You will get to know that the mango fudge is done when mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan and sticks as a mass. Switch the flame off. Immediately pour the mixture into the moulds and garnish the set mango fudge with remaining nuts and cardamom powder. Take a spoon and with light hands press the garnishing with the back of the spoon. Let it cool for some time and then wrap it with cling-film and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.For serving, I used my cup cake liners and gave them shape of pedas and ladoos.

Notes :

You may reduce the sugar level as per your liking.

The use of liquid colour is optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment