Saturday 9 August 2014

Eggless Rice flour cookies

It has been sometime that I posted a recipe in my blog. I was cooking but somehow couldn’t bring myself to baking. I would get ready with the ingredients but didn’t get into action. My grandmother passed away towards the end of June and somewhere I was affected. I know she was old and sick since long but I never wanted her leave us forever. The thought that she wouldn’t be there the next time I went home shook me. I did take my time to come in terms with the ultimate truth.

My grandmother was an affectionate and charming lady who loved to feed one and all. I, strongly feel that it was for her love that we were overfed most of the times. She was the foundation behind our Joint family and was a person who believed in loving people irrespective of their flaws. Ours is a family were daughters are equally pampered and all credit goes to her. Bou loved us immensely and sitting here to write I can still feel the abundant love she showered on us.

Coming to the recipe, I stumbled upon the recipe from internet as I wanted to use up some of the stocked rice flour and make it healthy at the same time. However, this time I was quite daring to go according to my own measurements and instincts. Luckily, it turned out to be good, with the crisp covering outside and soft texture inside makes it a good choice for that very cookie break. Hubby and friends at work liked it, and I hope so do u.

Rice flour cookies

Recipe source: http://www.vahrehvah.com/

Makes :14 to 16 cookies




Ingredients:

For cookie dough

Rice flour- 1 ¼ cup
All-purpose flour or maida- ¼ cup
Butter- ½ cup (at room temperature)
Sugar- ½ cup (finely powdered)
Baking powder- ½ tsp
Water- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp
Vanilla essence- 1 tsp

For garnishing

Sugar- 4 tbsp
Raspberry red food color- 2 drops

Procedure:

Pre-heat oven at 180 degree Celsius.Take a bowl and put together butter, rice flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, vanilla essence and baking powder. With very light hands bring everything together and now add water little by little till the dough comes together. Now for preparing the garnish coating take sugar, add two drops of food and mix everything well. Now from small balls out of the dough, roll it over the colored sugar sprinkle. Arrange the balls on the baking tray (leave some space in-between, however they wouldn't flatten completely) and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 15 to 18 minutes. The cookies in my convection microwave were done by 18 minutes.

Notes:

Each oven works differently, so keep an eye on the cookies after 12 minutes. The cookies will remain white on top and will brown slightly on the bottom.

If the cookie dough is not coming together you may consider adding  1 tsp water at a time. Remember the dough should not be very sticky.

No comments:

Post a Comment